Verbs + ing Vs. Verbs + infinitive. Verbos + ing Vs Verbos + Infinitivo en inglés. APRENDER INGLES GRATIS.



If there are two verbs together in a sentence, often the second one is either in the infinitive form (to play) or the continuous form (playing).  Have a look at this example, only one of the sentences is correct:
·       I enjoy to play piano X
   I enjoy playing piano √
a. We use the infinitive after certain verbs:
               - forget, help, learn, teach, train
               -choose, expect, hope, need, offer, want, would like
               -agree, encourage, pretend, promise, recommend
               -allow, can/can't afford, decide, manage, mean, refuse
Have a look at these examples:
  • You forgot to water the plants.
  • I can’t decide what to wear.
  • We promise to help you if we can.
  • I hope to see you again soon.
b. We also always use the infinitive after adjectives:
- happy, sad, sorry, disappointed, angry, pleased, delighted, glad, surprised, relieved etc.
               Have a look at these examples:
  • I was sorry to hear about your recent troubles.
  • I’m happy to hear from you.
  • She was angry to discover Charles was lying to her.
  • We’re delighted to have you here in our home.
  • They were relieved to know it was all over.
c. This is also the same for the form too + adjective:
               - too cold, too hot, too windy, too sunny, too salty, too sweet etc.
Have a look at these examples:
  • This tea is too hot to drink.
  • It’s too windy to go for a swim today.
  • This soup is too salty to eat.
  • My feet are too sore to walk anymore.
d. The infinitive is also used with the form adjective + enough.
               - rich enough, clever enough, strong enough, tall enough, short enough etc.
Have a look at these examples:
  • Are you tall enough to touch the ceiling?
  • My four year old son is clever enough to read short novels.
  • Will this glue by strong enough to fix the window?
  • This sandwich is big enough to have for dinner!
.......................................................................................................................................................
a. The -ing form is used when the word is the subject of the sentence or clause.
Have a look at these examples:
  • Running is an excellent form of exercise.
  • Doctors say that eating too much butter is bad for your health.
  • It is well known that smoking damages your lungs.
b. The -ing or continuous form is used after certain verbs:
              - avoid, dislike, enjoy, finish, give up, mind/not mind, practice etc.
Have a look at these examples:
  • I dislike eating fish.
  • I practice playing piano every evening.
  • I enjoy baking cakes.
  • I don’t mind working late, as long as I get paid overtime.
c. The continuous form is also used after a preposition:
               - to, without, against, at, by, from, for, until, with, up, before, after etc.
Have a look at these examples:
  • We’re looking forward to meeting you.
  • Don’t you leave the table withoutfinishing your dinner!
  • I’m against wearing fur.
  • I’m at the café waiting for you.
Language Tip
Sometimes you can use -ing or infinitive verbs without a change in meaning:
For example:   
      -It started to rain./ It started   raining.
      -I like to play sports./ I like playing sports.
      -I hate to watch horse racing/I hate     watching horse racing.

 http://www.emagister.com/curso-grammar-business-english-gramatica-ingles/verbs-ing-vs-verbs-infinitive-verbos-ing-vs-verbos-infinitivo-ingles

0 comentarios:

Publicar un comentario